Monday 15 September 2014

Thanks Kids You Rocked My Friday Night!

This past Friday having had a good day all day when my husband came home from work I told him I was restless and wanted to go out even if it was a short walk around the block.  After he rested for a bit we went out for our walk and seeing as I was still going okay even though I had a slight scary moment as a  Harley went roaring by and caused me to wooble like a weeble he asked if I would like to go to Applebee's for dinner. 

By the time we arrived at the restaurant it was 830PM thinking it would be good not too crowded and thinking families with little ones would be finished, I was more than happy to go on a little date.  We sat first at a booth which we had to move from as the straight back was starting to hurt my back.  Moving to a table and a new waiters section we ordered drinks and had just taking our first sip when I heard the subtle voices of children but nothing too alarming nor did I realize what impact these little ones would have on me we ordered our food. 

As we sat waiting for our food,  the children I could hear but could not see were getting that bored and restless sound, plus it was getting late for the age they sounded to be but surely the parents will settle them down I thought to myself and they are just being kids.  By the time our food arrive these wonderful children had kicked it up to the notch of being left in a playroom on their own.  Now I know before some people think well Heather you don't have children and you are right but it's never too early to teach children how to behave especially in certain places such as a restaurant that doesn't have plastic seating...these kids where now totally out of control screaming and picking on each other like children do when a parent is not around but the parents were sitting with them, allowing them to carry on and they were getting louder and louder.

Chris is looking at me and knowing what is coming on gets the attention of the first waitress he sees to  ask if they could please kindly ask the parents to settle down their children... he no sooner explains to her in a condensed version what is starting to happen to me it's too late I am suddenly gripped with a full body spasm.  As Chris is working on keeping me from falling to the ground in the middle of the restaurant without hurting myself.  The waitress  spring into action getting her manager over to the table with children, and what then suddenly felt like the entire restaurant  went dead quiet I catch a glimpse of the other staff and those sitting around us looking with absolute horror on their faces as I am in full spasm and trying to calm my body down, crying not just from pain but from the humiliation and frustration of this happening on my "I'm having a good day let's go on a date" date. So much for a good day. 

I commend the staff for their thoughtfulness and quick action. Even though we live directly across the street once an hour had passed and my system settled down enough for me to be left to my own devices and the calming voice of the waitress I learn was Natasha stayed with me. Chris went home and got the car to drive us for the long journey home... across the street.   

Friday date night literally came crashing to an end...thanks kids and to my un-medicated and un-diagnosed Stiff Person Syndrome!?


No comments:

Post a Comment