Friday 4 April 2014

Moving Slow In A World Moving Fast

Feeling good today so decided I'll take advantage of a good moment to do a quick trip to Safeway.  For me that use to be a 20 minute journey, from leaving the apartment to the store, shop and come back.  Now by the time I shower (rest,) then trying to get dressed (stop to rest again,) takes an hour to do if not more before even leaving the house and I'm not talking about getting all gussied up before I leave my place those days are done for me. Walking down the hall to the elevator praying no one else leaves their apartment and makes me try and hurry should the elevator comes before I get there.  I pray too that the few last polite people left in this mad dash of a world we now live in is not in front of me once I get off the elevator and want to hold the door for me to enter into our parking garage, again walking fast is no longer going to happen, no matter how nice you are being.

I finally made it to Safeway, which sadly I wish I could walk to like I use to, I can see it from my place but those days are done too, last time I tried I was only just past our apartment before I realized it was a big mistake in thinking I could make that walk. And before you wonder should I be driving the answer for now is yes I am able to, they (my doctors) monitor me and we know one day that day may end too but I'm hoping that doesn't happen too soon I still have 4 years on  my loan I took on my car, had I known what lay ahead I would have never purchased.  And I plan on using it as often as I can on my good days.

Back to my journey, I park in my lovely handicap spot, ignoring the stares as I leave my car looking as normal as I do and too stubborn to use my cane.  Slowly I make my way to the door and as I do this some woman comes roaring up and almost knocks me over as she hurries to the door ahead of me.  As she passes I (not very nicely) said "excuse me," she turns to me and in a raised voice says "I'VE GOT STUFF GOING ON".  Really you have stuff going on?  Imagine and here I am struggling to walk just as you happened  to cross my path and taking too long for a person who has "stuff going on."  I didn't know whether to laugh or yell the same back to her at that moment, as she huffed away from me.

When I got home and as I write this it makes me wonder how did our world become so crazy and hurried, is the world coming to an end unless we all hurry or is there some kind of super human race of life, that someone forgot to tell me about?  Are we so stressed and wound up in this world of ours that we don't have time for common courtesy? When did that happen?  I cannot recall a time back when I moved as freely as everyone else does, that I would ever behave that way to another person? I couldn't imagine doing/behaving that way, regardless of how shitty of a day I was having, when did this behavior become the norm?   Even now as I struggle to accept my new reality in this fast moving world of ours I often catch myself moving aside to let those hurrying to get to where ever it is they find is so important that they must rush to get there, I have made a decision; regardless of how much of a hurry they are in I'm going to force them to slow down, no more stopping and letting them pass, why should I.  If you happen to be behind me I'll apologize now but be prepared as I slow you down, and can feel you getting antsy behind me...I plan on yelling at you I'VE GOT STUFF GOING ON! As I slowly continue on my way.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment