Thursday 3 April 2014

The Ribbon Awareness Debate


The great debate of an awareness ribbon, above is the design that a great group of people who I now have become part of their group and "family" choose to represent our "special" group.

Why on earth was a zebra striped ribbon picked? I and many others wondered?  Anyone who knows me knows I am not an animal print type of person, but when it was explained to us I could not agree with the decision more, and I give great credit to those involved.  What did sadden me about the "big ribbon debate" taking place on the support group website (which happened to take place shortly after I finally joined. which took me some time  to do but after reading posts deciding that I would like to join, to get some answers and talk to others who know what I am going through)(yikes), some of the comments and discussions that I read and had taken place after it was "unveiled and announced" to the group not to mention the happiness that it had made it on the Awareness Ribbon Charts. One of the big factors for our condition is stress which can bring on debilitating spasms so why it became such an ugly debate is beyond me, my own thought on this;  people are people and no group will ever come to a unanimous decision nor can you hope to please everyone. Leaving it in the hands of a small but thoughtful group is how any decision has the best chance of making it happen, or it never will.

Another thought that came to me as I read the comments is some people hold such hatred and anger over their circumstances that they are only happy when hurting others like they are hurting.  My advise for what it's worth; let it go and be happy to wake up each day regardless of how much pain and suffering you are experiencing, every one of us is with you not against you :-) even if you feel everyone and the world is.

Every cause it seems has a ribbon and a colour these days, but ours stands out as rare as everyone that is fighting this battle, don't you think?   

As it was presented:  

“Zebra print represents rare diseases...silver represents our "TINMAN" moments/hours/days, etc...The sparkles represent the "GOOD and GREAT" days we all enjoy...and, lastly, we are 1 in a Million and there is no other ribbon on the charts that even looks anything like this! Like I've always said Stiff Person Syndrome = "STRONG PERSON SYNDROME"! Thank you all for appreciating our official ribbon!”

Many of you who know me know I am struggling to understand such a rare disease where there is not a whole lot of information available nor understanding of why some treatment works for some and not for other and until a "cure for all" or a better understanding of this condition is known, I will proudly wear a zebra striped ribbon, because I am One in a Million!  



For a list of awareness ribbons please see the following link:








1 comment: