Sunday 16 February 2014

Dealing With My Insuranace Company

For those of us lucky enough to have disability coverage at work it can be a true blessing, we never think we will ever need it and what a waste of money coming off our pay-check but trust me not one of us knows how quickly your life can turn on a dime.  If you work for a company that allows you to opt in or out I suggest you take it, I've worked since I was 15 and never dreamed I would be where I am today and I am so grateful my place of employment has it .

Keep in mind that once you start dealing with the insurance company they are a business and their sole purpose is to make money not to give it away if they can help it.  If you are one of the unfortunate ones who does need it they will try and get you off of it as quick as they can, sometimes they have no choice to wait just like the person dealing with their illness.

I deal with a very nice lady Kelly (company does not matter) she has received all my paperwork, calls me to get a feel for what they are dealing with, I try the best I can to explain what is going on and she keeps tabs on my prognoses and advises me that based on the reports she has received they are going to try and get me into physio as soon as possible and they expect that I will be back at work within a few months.  This is an interesting statement as I received my letter regarding physio and according to said letter the wait list is anywhere from 6 to 8 month, but if you think you can move that along faster then the doctor I've seen, more power to you.  Great I say (I believe this was more said to hear my responds then actual fact).

I wait a week and call her back to ask if she had any luck in moving my physio appointment sooner.  I think I took her a back a bit most people don't contact them asking if they have had luck in moving recovery along, not many but a few people do try to take advantage of being on disability rather then working.  I myself as much as being at home is nice when you can't do basic tasks I'm not exactly having a grand time at home and would like to try and get some of my mobility back.  Sitting or lying all day truly takes the joy out of life after a while no matter what your working mind tells you. And when I say sitting or lying I can only sit for a short time most of my time is spent in the prone position.  Kelly advises me that they have decided to not rush my physio along as they are not sure what they are dealing with.  No worries I tell her I will advise them when I get my call.


No comments:

Post a Comment