Friday 14 February 2014

Stuck In An Elevator

I'm stuck in the elevator, seriously the elevator just stopped and I am alone to top it off I realize I've left my cell phone in the car.  Funny how you can ride an elevator and never notice things such as the only thing to draw attention to the current predicament I am in is a alarm button okay don't panic as a polite person who just wants the day to end (thinking to myself  it serves me right leaving work early today),  I hit the button, a little buzzing sound rings hmmm this is not good wait a minute nope I hear no one.  Okay hit it again a little longer wait no nothing.  About 5 minutes go by okay panic is now setting in its early afternoon I have no idea what floor it stopped on I live on 15 but the lights for the floors are not lighting up.  PANIC I did not stop holding down that button finally I hear a voice I explain that I am stuck on the elevator with no cell phone and could he please call the office to get me help.  

Maintenance  comes and tells me they can't fix it and will have to wait for the elevator company to come but not to panic I will not run out of oxygen, thanks for that.  An hour later I finally hear commotion on the other side,  the door prise open a crack oh, oh I'm stuck between floors the repairman tells me to hold on he is going to try and get the elevator to move down a bit because I am too high to climb out but too far away to jump down.  The doors close again.


 I know people say God only gives you what you can handle but come on now this is like a bad movie script no one should have to play.  I'm in pain and starting to get muscle spasms, unbeknownst to me I'm sending my body silent messages causing my muscles to respond in an unkind way. 

Keep a level head I tell myself this will soon be over,  yep I just felt the elevator move just a little but it moved,  the door opens again but we are not on level ground we are a good few feet from level ground.  The repairmen tell me I have to jump they recommend I sit on the edge and push off and they will be there to help me.  At this point anyone who has SPS will tell you that what they are asking is impossible but remember I am still the crazy hypochondriac who has not been diagnosed.

 Okay I said to myself and try to bend down now in my brain I tell myself how to do it but my body has others plans I fall like a tree in a forest only I have witnesses who are looking at me with a horror on their faces I cannot begin to describe.  Remembering as I fall don't fall out because there is a huge open gap of an elevator shaft beneath you . I land hard on my side trying with all my might to stay within the confines of the little metal box I have been trapped in.  They manage to help me the rest of the way out ask if I'm okay which I think I am (the pride at that point was hurting more than my body)and they proceed to get me another elevator to take me to the floor I need.  By the time I get to my floor my hand is killing me and starting to swell.  But my muscles in my side are hurting me more "couch stat".

 By the next morning my hand is so swollen that hubby drives me a clinic to have it x-ray'd for he fears I've broken a few fingers.   Lucky for me no breaks but very badly sprained.  Not great when you type for a living but could have been worse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment