Monday 17 February 2014

Empathy?

I love seeing posts from my friends and family on Facebook, some make me laugh, some cry and others just make me go really? that doesn't sound like the person I know (case in point).   The reason I call this entry empathy is from a post of a friend I saw one day on my wall what caught my eye was a responds to the quote and what she posted back to that person who responded, (I love in a most ironic way).
Here is the post


What caught my eye is a friend of hers responds to this post "come on join me (name removed) in this dream".  With a respond back saying "I am (name removed)  I love empathic people!" (in fairness is does say "I love emphatic people" not " I myself am an empathic person") but it leaves one thinking that person is empathetic. 

Unbeknownst to this person I'm about to put them to the test 2 days later and they shall fail.  Said friend has invited me out,  two days before the movie night is to happen I tell her I'm in,  crazy person that I am I feel fine today (at that moment).  The day arrives that we are to go out and I'm walking like a baby just learning to walk, I realize that I can't safely drive (she wanted me to pick her up, so she can have a drink as she knows I can't) or will I be able to walk too far, but maybe my friend if she would be kind enough to pick me up and drop me at the door I could still go.

The call:

Friend: How are you today Heather?
Me: Not doing too great today, I was thinking I would not be able to go but I (friend cuts me off)
Friend: that's okay Heath,  call me or email me at work tomorrow
Me: well  I (friend cuts me off)
Friend:  gotta go "pay as you go plan on the phone" and I don't want to waste my minutes
Friend:  bye
Me: Um okay bye
*Click*

Ouch!  Okay I already feel horrible today and  in a space of 30 seconds, you've shown me you  have no empathy for my situation and to add insult to injury by talking to me I'm wasting your minutes on your pay as you go plan.    

I explained to my husband what just transpired, and he laughed just like he did when I read him her post. And says to me "yep another great example of empathy alright". 

My responds to this post:


Definition of empathy as per Webster Dictionary:
1 the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it
2:  the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also :  the capacity for this

The lesson here:
 Be careful with how you use words and be sure your actions are in tune with what you say, someone somewhere at any time may put you through the test; are you going to pass or fail?

No comments:

Post a Comment