Sunday 16 February 2014

Physiotherapy....Not Good

I finally get a call for my 1st physio appointment.  I had my choice of which hospital and if I prefer male or a female therapist.
I chose my hospital and tell them I don't have a preference on a male or female as long as they can help me.

By this time I can no longer walk without looking I've been on a bender for two days and I'm starting to have trouble swallowing,  I'm not on any medication for my muscles and I'm in bad shape I'm very good at hiding my pain but I'm losing the battle.

My appointment with Brad is interesting to say the least.  He had me do a few basic stretches which cause my muscles to clamp up.  No one has come right out and said you have SPS we just highly suspect it so I told him that they believe this might be what we are dealing with.  He stops me from stretching any further and says I have never seen muscles do what yours are doing.  He says he is going to look into Stiff Person Syndrome and to come back in a week and he will have a plan in place for me.

Great someone taking an interest I go back the following week, he heats up my back muscles and then has me do a couple of leg and abdomen stretches all is going okay and then all of a sudden it's like an electric shock hitting my body and my muscles are spasming incredibly and the tears begin.  He has me stop immediately and tells me he cannot help me.  As he says physio is to help and he can see this is not helping me at all but making it worse.  He explains the muscles in my upper stomach the ones that hurt the most when they hit;  in between our ribs are muscles and what is happening is they are twisting and trying to move the ribs out of the way to expand out, but because they are coming up to resistance unlike other muscles which do not have obstructions such as ribs  is why I am in tremendous pain, he can feel it and witnessed what they are trying to do.   No wonder I am in such pain when these hit, ribs are not designed to move out the way.  As much as I am in pain I am so grateful to have someone who understands muscles and can explain by observing what is happening and why the pain is so intense!  My physio days may be over but I have an answer to one of my greatest mysteries.


No comments:

Post a Comment