Thursday 27 February 2014

Don't Judge Someone On Their Appearance

The misconception of looking fairly healthy to a world that bases judgement on looks.  I know people say we are not that shallow but as sadly that statement may sound it is true.  I was guilty of this myself, how many times did I see a person pull into a handicap space and hop out and I would think to myself hmm someone with a true disability is not with you today but let's use that wonderful handicap placard... feeling lazy today?  Like a twist of fate I'm now one of those people that other stare at.  We all do it.

The other day I was feeling fairly good so I ask my husband to get our laundry basket out before he left for work and I would try and do a load of laundry.  He did not want me to as he knows I have difficulty with the front loaders in our building but I was determined.

 Down I went loaded a washer and felt good so came back up and got another load to take down.  When I went back down close to the time it would be done I took my book with me to read while I waited.  As I sat, next to me an older gentleman in the chair beside me was talking to another elderly person in the laundry room.  I see my washing machine is almost done and went to get up as I did so my legs started to give out on me and I staggered as I got up and grabbed the machine closest to me to try and steady myself.  I could tell from the look on their faces they thought I was drunk.  As always I right away went into defense mode and explained I was not drunk I have a muscle disorder that makes my body give out on itself at times.  A moment of silence ensued finally the older gentleman piped up and said but you look so healthy.  As anyone who has an invisible disability I smiled and said I know funny how looks can be deceiving.   They both then began to ask about my illness which was sweet and I explained as best I could. As the conversation was ending the older gentleman said funny we are older and think here is a young person who can help us and yet we should be helping you.  I kindly declined their help but another lesson learned even to an older person never judge a person by their appearance.

I hope you never judge a person again by appearance, you never know what is going on inside, we don't all wear a sign that there is something wrong.  I know I have learned that lesson myself the hard way, I hope you never will.


No comments:

Post a Comment