Saturday 15 February 2014

Still Having Spasms and My Leg Is Still Stiff

My DTV happened at the beginning of 2012 and seemed to be the start of a slow but steady decline.

My spasms seem to be happening more frequently so much so that I am missing a lot of work, back to new doctor I go.  He suggests that maybe it has something to do with my statins and suggests because I have Metabolic Syndrome let's send you to the Lipid Clinic at one of our hospitals.  Sounds good to me.  And as for still having pain and stiffness in your leg that can sometimes happen to people who have had a DTV and because your body seems to not accept warfarin very well it's not healing itself as fast as it should be, sounds logical to me.  Let's bite another bullet and bring up Cushing's which he also does not think is what is going on but tests my blood levels for cortisol which comes back normal. 

My first appointment at the Lipid Clinic....had to be on one of the worse days for a snow storm to hit by the time I got into there I could barely walk.  It also didn't help that as I left work I had a big disagreement with one of my co-workers (I wish I knew a pattern was developing but I was still a year away), the stress of the argument and the stress of driving on dangerous roads = a person with SPS to go into  spasm. 

I am meeting a team literally; comprising of a cardiologist, a nurse and a dietitian.  The dietitian was pleased  with the progress I was trying to make with the small changes I had made as per my doctors advice.  By the time I saw the nurse I was in absolute pain and started to cry and like déjà vu she said you are suffering from depression I think we should prescribe Prozac (wow slow down you've known me for all of 10 minutes) I tried to explain that I had had an argument and how suddenly my muscles are spasming and that I was not depressed but in extreme pain , she was hard to convince but finally dropped the subject.  Next stop the Cardiologist, not good,  I am crying by this time uncontrollably which is making me feel even worse and all I can think about is how am I going to drive myself home in a raging storm with my body fighting against me.  I finally compose myself enough to explain to him I do not suffer from depression (mind you it's hard to believe with all I have been though in all these years).  And because I suffer from these muscle spasms is there any way it can the statins doing the damage.  (I won't go into details about statins but they are a very nasty drug for some people).    He does not think so and rather than decrease my dosage or give me an alternative drug, he prescribes me a dosage that is 80mg a day and currently I'm taking 40mg.  

I try and believe in the medical system I really do so like a good patient I start taking my higher dosage against my better judgement.  Within two weeks I am in such bad shape, the spasms and pain are non-stop that's it, it had to be the statins, I stop taking them  but I do call the Lipid Clinic to  tell them that there is no way I'm going to take statins anymore as I believe that maybe after researching these drugs that is what is causing my problems.  Reluctantly they put me on an older drug that although doesn't stop my spasms they are not a sever.  I guess my new doctor was right it's statins and they do say that once that happens the damage is irreversible, not great news but at least I know right?    

No comments:

Post a Comment