Sunday 16 February 2014

Walking Into An Angel's Office

Nothing in the Manitoba  health care system is quick, each province is different and I can only speak of the one I live in.  Having seen my doctor in March I received a letter for the neurologist for my consultation in the later part of May those weeks passed slowly. 

I am getting worse,  before it was all just in my stomach sometimes my legs but by now it's spreading though out my body and I'm still not sure what I am dealing with. 

Elaine has become like my husband is at home always checking on me.  She is watching my decline and it's worry her as much as it is my husband.  By May 1 I had missed a total of 5 weeks of work since the being of January, and I've run out of my sick days and  I only have a few days left in my holiday time .  She looks at me one day and says they need to put you on sick leave.  I know I said so back to the doctor I go.  Elaine bless her comes with me but I tell her just to sit in the waiting room, I'll be okay.

 In I go,  when I explain I am really struggling and can no longer do my job and would really like to go on disability until I get sorted,  my doctor offers to write me a sick note to receive two week off.  I explain that two weeks is not going to help but he says that's all he will give me he does not think I'm sick enough to warrant  going on disability.  Even though we won a victory two months ago I am in a place where I have no fight left in me. Crying leaving the office with a two week note in hand is not what "Elaine the warrior" is going to accept.  She demands to see my doctor out he comes  she says "look at her how can you think she can work like this and how can you think two weeks is going to do any good we are not leaving this office until something is done".  He reluctantly backs down and says fine come back next week with the forms and I will sign them.

The following week a none too happy GP fills out my paper work.  Short term disability in hand I have 4 months to figure this all out. 

Time to walk into an angel's office;  my husband joins me we finally have a consultation with a neurologist.  My appointment is to be 45 minutes we are there for almost an hour and a half.  After hearing my story, and all I've been through I'm not holding out for much hope .

 He says well I think 1st off we are dealing with more than one illness music to my ears my husband and I have been saying that for years.  And with what you are describing I think I have three possibilities for one of your illnesses, your GP thinks you may be having seizures, but I don't see that.  Keep singing to me doctor because for once in many years you are giving me back hope.  We will begin testing as soon as we can. I suspect either a serve case of Cramp Fasciculation Syndrome, Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis (which he ruled out before I left the office), and I don't think so because it's so rare but I want to rule it out Stiff Person Syndrome.   

No comments:

Post a Comment